Friends for Jeff Spiegelman,
We have one more day of session and it will be a big one. On Tuesday, we caucus at 3 p.m. and don’t begin debating bills on the House floor until 7:30 p.m. If my previous June 30ths are any indication, that means we will be in the building until 5 a.m. Fun fun….. We still have to vote on the budget, bond, and grants-in-aid bills (two of which we have not even seen yet).
-Happy Independence Day! While my schedule is a bit fluid through the day, I do plan on being at the Smyrna/Clayton parade and volunteers of mine will be at the MOT parade. I need to be cloned!
-Usually these updates are filled with events from the previous week. However, we have been in session until early evening every night. Some very controversial bills have come through the building, and some passed with the full blessings of both chambers. If you have a question about any bills we are working on or have worked, please don’t hesitate to ask. That is what I am here for.
-My “Meet & Greet” gatherings for June and July are all set. Please join me at one of the following events:
• COFFEE MEETING – Wednesday, July 8th – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Tony’s Sausage House (2814 Kenton Road, Dover)
• MEET & GREET – Saturday, July 11th – 12-noon to 1 p.m. – 3 Palms Petting Zoo (924 Blackbird Forest Road, Clayton). The RAIN DATE is Saturday, July 18th.
• SODA & ICED TEA MEETING – Wednesday, July 15th – 12-noon to 1 p.m. – Little Italy Pizza Shop in Townsend (325 Main Street, Townsend)
• COFFEE MEETING – Monday, July 20th – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Willey Farms (Townsend)
• ICE CREAM SOCIAL – Wednesday, July 22nd – 12-noon to 1 p.m. – Mamie Warren Senior Center (1775 Wheatleys Pond Road, Smyrna). Join me for a free scoop of ice cream.
• MEET & GREET/WINE TASTING – Friday, July 24th – 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Harvest Ridge Winery (447 Westville Road, Marydel, DE)
Berbere powder is the first step in creating my wife’s favorite meal- Doro Wat (next week’s recipe). This delicious sweet and spicy mix has a lot of other uses as well. Be creative and enjoy. For example, over the weekend I sprinkled a pinch over some deviled eggs. I am marinating some chicken drumsticks in it right now to put on the grill tomorrow.
-2 tspn ground ginger
-1 tspn cardomon
-1 tspn celery salt
-1 tspn nutmeg
-1 tspn ground coriander
-1 tspn cinnamon
-1/2 tspn ground clove
-1/2 tspn ground allspice
-1 tbpn salt
-1/4 cup chipotle pepper
-1/4 cup cayenne or other spicy pepper
-1/4 cup sweet paprika
-1/4 cup smoked paprika
Over medium-low heat, roast all the spices in a heavy pan. Do not allow to burn by stirring fairly often. When the mixture begins to release a delicious smell, add the rest of the spices and continue to roast for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Representative 11th District
Legislative Hall: PO Box 1401. Dover, DE 19903