Friends for Jeff Spiegelman,
Sorry about last weekend. I lost internet and could not send out one of my weekly emails. Well, we are back and good to go!
-To get caught up, last week had some great events. Tuesday night was a Joint Sunset meeting. Wednesday I went over to an annual sportsman’s show in Harrisburg. Thursday morning I went to the Kent County Tax Ditch Conservation breakfast. Friday night I went to the Hans Reigel for Congress fundraiser at Painted Stave Distilling. Saturday afternoon I was a guest judge at the second annual Willey Farms’ Soup Cookoff (more on that below).
-Happy Valentine’s Day and President’s Day everyone.
-Monday evening is an 11th District GOP monthly meeting. Email me for more details. We would love to have you.
-Tuesday morning I am attending an economic meeting with the town of Smyrna. Tuesday evening is a Joint Sunset meeting.
-Thursday evening is the kick-off party for the First Cider Club at Harvest Ridge. Take a look and see some of the exciting things coming out of this Kent County gem.
-Friday night is a meeting with constituents at Painted Stave from 5 p.m. -6:30 p.m.
-Saturday the 20th is a Muskrat and Meatloaf dinner at the Blackbird Community Center. It is also the annual Kent County GOP Lincoln Day Dinner.
UPDATE: My next round of Meet and Greets have been scheduled. Stop by if there is something on your mind and you would like to chat.
· MEET & GREET/TASTING – Friday, February 19th – 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Painted Stave Distilling (103 W. Commerce Street, Smyrna)
· COFFEE MEETING – Tuesday, March 8th – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Willey Farms (Townsend)
· MEET & GREET – Saturday, March 19th – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – 3 Palms Petting Zoo (924 Blackbird Forest Road, Clayton). (The facility will also be hosting an Easter Egg hunt that day, as well as on the rain date, starting at 11 a.m. and continuing for the rest of the day.) The Meet & Greet RAIN DATE is Saturday, March 26th.
· ICE CREAM SOCIAL – Tuesday, April 5th – 12-noon to 1 p.m. – Mamie Warren Senior Center (1775 Wheatleys Pond Road, Smyrna). Join Jeff for a free scoop of ice cream.
· MEET & GREET/WINE TASTING – Saturday, April 9th – 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Harvest Ridge Winery (447 Westville Road, Marydel, DE)
· COFFEE MEETING – Thursday, April 21st – 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. – The Young Bean Coffee Shop (314 Main Street, Clayton)
Congratulations to Ed Baker as the winner of the 2nd annual Willey Farms’ Soup Cookoff. Here is the winning recipe (slightly modified for brevity). Makes a LOT of soup!
-4 cups vegetable soup mix
-carrots, turnips, rutebega, and cauliflower
-1 cup water
-1 cup beef broth
-2 tbsp olive oil
Broth Part II
-1 cup chopped kale
-2 sliced celery stalks
-1 small chopped purple cabbage
-1 sliced medium onion
-1 sliced green pepper
-3 diced potatoes
-2 cups sliced green beans
-1 cup sliced carrots
-2 cups veggie juice
-1 lb ground beef browned with 6 garlic cloves, salt, and pepper
-1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
-2 cups corn
Simmer the Broth portion 2 hours. Mash with potato masher. Add the Broth Part II. Simmer until cabbage and celery are 30 minutes from cooked. Add the Finish. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of hot sauce.
Representative 11th District
Legislative Hall: PO Box 1401. Dover, DE 19903
Personal: PO Box 869. Clayton, DE. 19938