Friends for Jeff Spiegelman,
Let me extend a special welcome to my new guests to the weekly newsletter and recipe email list.
-June is the busiest month of the year in Legislative Hall. The Bond Bill, Grants-in-Aid, and Budget all still require our votes in addition to any other bills that will be coming our way at a more frantic pace. Very interesting times in Dover.
-On Monday, I am getting a ride-along in a Smyrna School District bus. Monday night is a Hartly Town Council meeting at 6:30 p.m. to go over their Comprehensive Plan.
-Tuesday is an end of session brunch with the Delaware Chamber of Commerce. Tuesday evening is a legislative reception with the Chemical Industry of Delaware.
-Wednesday, in addition to being one of the last two committee days of the 148th General Assembly, is the Governor’s annual legislative picnic.
-On Thursday, the House Republican PAC is hosting Bob Perkins of the Delaware Business Roundtable to discuss issues facing Delaware’s business community. Please email me for more details.
-Friday night is the annual (and very popular) Smyrna At Night event. Come out and enjoy the festivities.
-The stickers needed for my yard signs are in and I am ready to start sending them out. Please let me know if you would like a sign. I am happy to deliver one to you. If you have already requested a sign, thank you for your support. Please be patient as we are organizing this part of our campaign.
I am happy to announce my next round of constituent meetings through the spring and summer. I invite constituents to stop by one of the following meetings to share a question or concern about a legislative or district matter that may be on their minds:
· COFFEE MEETING – Wednesday, June 15th – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Tony’s Sausage House (2814 Kenton Road, Dover)
· MEET & GREET – Saturday, July 9th – 12-Noon to 1 p.m. – 3 Palms Petting Zoo (924 Blackbird Forest Road, Clayton). (The RAIN DATE is Saturday, July 16th.)
· COFFEE MEETING – Monday, July 11th – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Willey Farms (Townsend)
· COFFEE MEETING – Tuesday, August 2nd – 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. – The Young Bean Coffee Shop (314 Main Street, Clayton)
· MEET & GREET/WINE TASTING – Friday, August 12th – 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – Harvest Ridge Winery (447 Westville Road, Marydel, DE)
· ICE CREAM SOCIAL – Wednesday, August 24th – 12-noon to 1 p.m. – Mamie Warren Senior Center (1775 Wheatleys Pond Road, Smyrna). Join Jeff for a free scoop of ice cream.
There was a restaurant in New Castle that made this dish really well and I have tried to recreate it as best I could. It is simple, delicious, and very healthy.
-1 cup olive oil
-2 eggplants cut into large chunks
-3 tablespoons Ras El Hanout seasoning (often sold as Moroccan Seasoning. It is a blend of cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger, cardamon, pepper, paprika, and tumeric.)
-salt to taste
Mix all ingredients in a covered baking dish. Bake at 300 degrees, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant mashes easily, about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the eggplants. Mash into a chunky paste. Serve with pita bread.
Representative 11th District
Legislative Hall: PO Box 1401. Dover, DE 19903
Personal: PO Box 869. Clayton, DE. 19938